Study in Canada without IELTS

Many international students are not aware that they have the opportunity to study in Canada without having to take the IELTS exam. This can be a surprise, for those who are just discovering this information. In fact even the Canadian Embassy is now granting permission for foreign students to pursue their studies in Canada without the requirement of taking the IELTS exam.

There are a few paths that international students can take to study at universities without having to take or pass the IELTS test. One option is to research universities that don’t require the IELTS exam. Another possibility is to complete an English language course and then provide the certificate from that course to universities that accept it. Lastly it’s worth mentioning that obtaining a proficiency certificate, such as TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language) or CanTEST ( Test of English for Scholars and Trainees) is typically necessary for studying in Canada.

IELTS Alternative for Canada

It is possible to study in Canada without IELTS, as previously mentioned. The IELTS is not the only test you can take to prove your proficiency in English. The following are alternative IELTS for Canada:

  • English Proficiency tests you may have qualified for include the Pearson Test of English (PTE) or the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
  • Cambridge English C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency
  • Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) English
  • English Language Diagnosis and Assessment/Certificate of Proficiency in English (ELDA/COPE)
  • You have been studying in an English-medium school for a minimum of four years
  • After attending the university’s language school for a semester or a year

Most universities in Canada will accept you for study without IELTS if you meet one or more of these criteria.

Universities to Study in Canada Without IELTS

Now that you are familiar with the key requirements and alternatives for IELTS and English proficiency scores, the next step is to investigate the universities in Canada that are known for accepting applications without IELTS scores. The following is a list of major universities and colleges where you can study in Canada  without IELTS:

University of Winnipeg

University of Winnipeg doesn’t require IELTS certification. On the other hand, you have to prove your English skills. You just have to submit an English language proficiency certificate (including Duolingo) to get in. The University of Winnipeg has its own English Language Program that you can take before starting your degree. It’s on the website of University of Winnipeg where you’ll find full details about exemptions and requirements for the language program. This is a great source for escaping IELTS.

Brock University

Brock University accepts the International English Language Testing System, also known as IELTS, but it is not mandatory. Brock University will undoubtedly approve the TOEFL test. The preferred scores include 88 iBT points, with a minimum of 21 on Speaking and Writing (580 PBT) or 237 CBT (TSE 4.5) (TWE 4.5). Moreover, students may prepare themselves linguistically by taking Brock’s Intensive English Language Program, which is designed to help overseas students become more proficient in the English language. If you have completed an International Baccalaureate diploma or its equivalent using English as a medium of instruction, you are eligible for admission to any of their UG and PG programs.

University of Saskatchewan

Located in the heart of Saskatoon, the University of Saskatchewan offers the opportunity to enroll in its courses to international students who have an overall score of 86 on the TOEFL with at least 19 in each of the four sections. Tests of English as a Foreign Language are a great alternative to the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The University of Saskatchewan accepts this test in addition to the CanTEST – Canadian English test for scholars and trainees, in addition to the option of enrolling in the English Language Training program offered by the university. It is possible to compare CanTEST with IELTS since both tests assess four sub-skills: listening, reading, writing, and speaking. It is not a computerised examination, and it contains a face-to-face speaking examination.

Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador

Students from outside of Newfoundland and Labrador who wish to enroll at Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador are required to demonstrate their proficiency in English by submitting their grades from the past four years of their educational experience. For this reason, students should properly verify the exemptions by contacting the university as soon as possible and informing them that their previous degree program was taught in English. Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador also accepts TOEFL scores, which require a minimum score of 90, with at least 20 points in Reading and Listening and at least 25 points in Speaking and Writing. Additionally, the CanTEST scores must be 4.5 in both the hearing comprehension and reading comprehension subtests as well as a 4 in the writing subtest. It is important to note that the Canadian Academic English Language Test (CAEL) requires an overall score of 70, with at least 60 in each band and not less than 70 in Writing and Speaking.

Cambrian University

Cambrian College will evaluate students’ English abilities by not requiring them to take the IELTS, and students who do not satisfy the English language requirement will be required to take extra English courses before starting their program of study.

Okanagan College

Duolingo English Test (DET), TOEFL and OCELA scores are accepted at Okanagan College. International students from British Columbia high schools may use their BC grades to demonstrate their proficiency in English. These are the alternative standardized tests for IELTS.

Concordia University

Concordia University’s primary language of instruction is English, so all applicants interested in studying at this institution must meet one of the three requirements listed below in order to be excused from taking the English language competency test:

  • Graduate or undergraduate studies at an approved university for at least three full years.
  • A minimum of five years of full-time work experience in an English environment is required for applicants to the professional programs at the John Molson School of Business, as well as a successful interview.
  • A Quebec Diploma of Collegiate Studies (DEC) and a university degree from a Quebec institution are required (proof of a DEC is required).

Seneca College

International students applying to Seneca College must be well prepared to study in English. English proficiency tests from one of the English language testing bodies (listed below) are considered alternatives to IELTS. It is necessary to have taken the test within the past two years.

  • CAEL CE and CAEL Online – Minimum 60
  • Cambridge English Exams (B2 First/FCE, C1 Advanced/CAE or C2 Proficiency/CPE) – Minimum 169 with no skill below 162
  • PTE Academic – Minimum score is 58
  • TOEFL iBT (including MyBest TOEFL and Home Edition) – Minimum 80 with no section below 20
  • TOEFL Revised Paper Delivered – No skill below 20

Carleton University

It is necessary to have studied English in high school, college, or university. The following papers are essential for demonstrating your proficiency in English. These include:

  • Canadian Academic English Language Test, in total 70 points
  • TOEFL iBT, 86 average score
  • Pearson Test of English, 60 points overall

Algoma University

To attend Diploma/Certificate/Undergraduate/Postgraduate courses in Algoma University, the minimum English language score requirements are:

  • CAEL – 60
  • Cambridge English Qualifications – Overall 176 with no band less than 169
  • Duolingo – Overall 110 (no individual band below 90)
  • TOEFL – 550 (paper-based) or 79 (Computer or Home Edition)
  • PTE – 60
  • ENG4U (OSSD) or ENGL12 (BC Curriculum): 3 years of full-time course with a minimum grade of 70%
    Students successfully completing the International Baccalaureate may take a waiver.

Brandon University

The university requires all applicants, regardless of citizenship status or country of origin, to demonstrate proficiency in English. The following internationally recognised tests are accepted at Brandon University: C1 & C2 (176 min), CAEL/CAEL CE (60 min), CanTEST (4.5 for reading and listening; 4.0 for speaking and writing), English for Academic Purposes or EAP (Completion of Tier 4), PTE (58 min) and TOEFL (80 minimum). The University admission committee (AdCom) accepts documents from the issuing authority only. No emailed, photocopied, notarised or attested documents are accepted.

University of Guelph

The University of Guelph accepts the Advanced Level of the English Language Certificate Program or ELCP (levels 9 and 10), Cambridge English: C1 and C2 (Minimum 176 with no band less than 169), CAEL (minimum 70), Duolingo (minimum 110), PTE (minimum 60) and TOEFL (Internet-based – 89 min, Computer-based – 250 min, and Paper-based – 600 min). Please note that test scores are considered valid within the past two years from the date of submission.

McGill University

McGill University requires proof of English proficiency from international students who do not possess a degree from a recognized English-medium university. TOEFL iBT (internet-based) 100 with a minimum score of 20 in each section is required. The McGill ETS Institution code is 0935. Test takers are advised to take tests only at Test Centres for admission purposes.

Recommended Posts

India Young Professionals Scheme Visa 2024

Big Breaking News for Indian Youths United Kingdom is offering work permit scheme for Indian called: “India Young Professionals Scheme Visa 2024” At a Glance The UK Home Office has announced that the next ballot for the India Young Professional Scheme will open on February 20, 2024 and close on February 22, 2024. The scheme … Read more

Working While Studying in Canada: Balancing Academics and Employment

Do you wish to work during your studies in Canada? Do you have a spouse/common-law partner who wishes to work during your study in Canada? Both spouse and common-law partner can work while studying in Canada. Working in Canada gives you practical work experience and helps you build your network. It may also help you … Read more