What type of UK visa can parents apply for?
The ‘UK Family Visa’ can be applied for by parents of an independent child (e.g. you). It is not possible for them to do so. If the child is at least 18 years old, if he/she has British citizenship, if he/she has ILR, or if there are other specific circumstances, then a UK family visa can be applied for.
In the case of parents with independent children without permanent visas (most of us), the only way they can enter the UK is through a Standard Visitor Visa. If you took the PLAB 2 exam, you may have applied for the same visa.
Family visitor visas, previously available separately, have now been merged into standard visitor visas.
Do you live in Ahmedabad or a nearby location and are looking for guidance on UK Parent Visa? Our Expert Visa Consultants for UK Parent Visa in Ahmedabad can be your best option at Overseas Desire.
How to apply for a UK visitor visa for parents
On the GovUK website, applying for a UK visa is very streamlined. A standard visitor visa application can be started by clicking ‘apply now’ on this link. These are the steps involved in the entire process:
Online application fill-up
When you click the Apply Now link, you will be asked a series of questions before you can submit your application.
Registering with your local visa application center (VAC)
Upon submitting your online application, GovUK will determine which service in your country handles UK visa applications and forward you the service/website address.
Submitting supporting documents and biometrics
If you wish to provide biometrics (fingerprints and photos) to VAC, you may either upload or submit them.
UK visitor visa requirements for parents
Online application form fill-up
For the online application form to be completed successfully, the following information is required. If you are filling out an application form, remember to answer these questions from your parent’s point of view, not your own.
- Identify your parents’ names and addresses (based on their passports)
- What is the length of time you have lived at this address? The years since my mother got married was the time frame in my mother’s case
- A passport’s details
- Date of birth, nationality, and country
- Can you tell me what your employment status is? – In the case of employed parents, be sure to obtain a letter of no objection from their employer, along with a bank statement and employment certificate as proof of employment.
- Are you able to earn another income or do you have any savings? – If your parents have saved anything, it is very likely that they will be able to help you financially.
- During your visit to the UK, how much money will you spend? – Approximately £4000 – £5000 is the likely total cost for a 6-month stay. It is possible for them to spend between one-fourth and one-fifth of the amount funded by other people even if you are sponsoring the entire amount since they have some savings.
- Do you spend a certain amount of money each month? – When you include bills, food, and medications, my mother’s monthly budget is around 15000 BDT.
- Your visit will be paid for by someone? – Yes. Putting the rest amount three-quarters or four-fifths of the total amount goes to someone I know (for example, a family member or friend).
- Information about your planned travel – It is very important to have this information. Visas are likely to start from your planned arrival date in the UK. Hence, it should be as close to the actual travel date as possible.
- Your visit to the UK is primarily for what reason?– Visits to family and then tourism.
It is important for you to know the details of your grandparents as well as your first parent. Birth dates and names.
- Can you tell me if you have any relatives in the UK?– Yes. Here are your details again. Like me, you have a temporary visa if you have a Tier 2 visa.
- Are you traveling with an organized group to the UK? – It was not as if my mother would travel independently in her case.
- Checking the box and providing your contact information will allow you to stay with family. If you arrive in the UK on the same date as this address, then you can easily correspond this address with your arrival date.
- Travel history around the world
- It is likely that all of these issues will be resolved in the affirmative, including violations of immigration law, war crimes, views that are terrorist or extremist, employment history, a question about good character, etc.
It’s that simple. Before you begin this online application, you will need to have the following information.
What’s the duration I should apply for?
It would be wise to apply for a six-month visa if it’s your first time applying. The hassle of obtaining a visa can be minimized later by applying for a longer duration (2, 5, or 10 years). If your parents visit the UK repeatedly and successively, they won’t be able to make it their main home. It is possible that they will be banned from visiting the UK entirely if caught.
You cannot stay in the UKVI for more than six months in a year, but your parents are allowed to stay for a maximum of six months in one visit. Basically, you should spend a few months outside the UK and not much time inside over the course of a year.
Required documents for visitor visa application
I have attached the following documents for my mother’s visit visa to the UK:
- Letter of application
- Savings are shown on her bank statement
- She can prove her address with her nationality certificate
- Here is a letter from me inviting you
- A copy of my passport
- I have a BRP
- As proof of my address, I have my last six months’ bank statement.
- A copy of your tenancy agreement should also be included if you are renting.
- I am enclosing an employment letter from my trust.
Cover letter for UK visitor visa for parents
An elaborate explanation is not necessary. Keeping it simple and short is the key. Please write a brief explanation of your parent’s income and major transactions here.
Invitation letter from you
For this assignment, you do not have to write a lengthy essay. The nature of their visit, which is a short family visit, along with your visa status and accommodations should be mentioned.
Employment letter from your trust
Your HR representative will be happy to assist you in getting your parents a visit visa if you let them know you require an employment letter.
If you ask them, make sure they mention the following:
- Describe the date on which you started your job
- Duration of the contract
- Title of your position
- What you earn
On headed paper containing the trust seal and the contact information of the HR representative, the letter should be addressed to whomever it may concern.
Visa fees for parents’ visitor visa
The cost of a standard visitor visa is £95.
Depending on the length of the visa, the fee is as follows:
2 years – £361
5 years – £655
10 years – £822
In addition to the cost of the services, there are other costs associated with applying for a visa.
How long does it take to get a UK visitor visa for parents?
Standard visitor visa applications are generally processed within two weeks, although it may vary from country to country. The application should not be submitted more than three months in advance of the intended travel date.
If your VAC offers premium visa applications, you may receive a decision sooner.
Can I bring my parents permanently to the UK?
It’s not possible to do that if you have a temporary visa (tier 2). Why? It is impossible for you to be permanent.
It takes 5 years to obtain a settled visa (indefinite residence permit) and 1-2 years after that to become a British citizen. In that case, you can think about bringing your parents permanently to the UK after you have served for 5 to 6 years here.
A high threshold and evidentiary bar must be met for this elderly dependent visa application. There are a few things you must prove, but the list below is not comprehensive:
- Grandparents and parents who are totally dependent on permanent UK residents financially and emotionally
- The parent and grandparent are constantly in contact
- It is very difficult to show that the applicant has no close relatives in their home country who can support them (close relatives can include sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, grandchildren, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, spouses, or parents-in-law).
- Applicants’ dependents may be accommodated at the UK relative’s home as well as any dependents the applicant may bring with them
- It is necessary for the applicant to provide evidence under this category to prove their circumstances and, most importantly, that either they are financially dependent on their sponsor or that they are experiencing the most extreme circumstances.
Immigration agencies in the UK are usually used to file these types of applications. So in summary, there may be a way to bring your elderly parents to the UK permanently, but it may not be applicable or achievable for everyone.
How quickly I can apply for this visit visa for my parents and family?
Before sponsoring your parents to visit the UK, I would wait until you have a minimum of six months’ salary in your UK account.
How long parents can stay on a visitor visa in the UK?
Visitor stays are limited to six months for any visit. While frequent and successive visits to the UK are permissible, extreme caution should be taken not to make the UK seem like their home.
What is the maximum stay a UK visitor visa allows?
In what circumstances does a visitor visa to the UK allow a maximum stay? In any case, a visitor can stay a maximum of six months during their visit. While frequent and successive visits to the UK are permissible, extreme caution should be taken not to make the UK seem like their home.
How much bank statement is required for a UK visit visa?
As a member of the NHS, you are paid every month, so proving you have regular income in your bank account is not difficult. Sponsoring does not require a certain amount in your account.
What is the maximum stay a UK visitor visa allows?
The maximum length of time is six months.
Can I extend the visitor visa for my parents while they are in the UK?
Your parents would only be subject to this if they paid for any private medical treatment and had to stay during that period of time.
Is a return ticket required for my parents to come to the UK with a visitor visa?
Yes. It is essential to have a return ticket for any visit, as it confirms that you intend to visit only, not to violate immigration laws.
Can I sponsor a visit visa for my other family members (siblings, cousins, etc)?
Yes. Exactly the same procedure will apply.
Can my parents avail of NHS services while on a visitor visa?
Since they are not residents, they cannot use the NHS. Therefore, it’s a good idea for them to take overseas travel health insurance when they visit.
Ready to get started?
Please contact us today and we’ll be happy to assist you